5.7.05

Aaahhhh! I saw my sister on the telly!!!

While checking out the Live8 concerts on TV last Saturday, but also getting updated on the political background of the whole initiative, I switched to the Euronews channel to see a report on the protest march in Edinburgh.

















News agencies say there were about 200000-225000 people there. Thats quite a lot of people! Suddenly I saw this:













Well, not exactly, but quite similar anyway - a big banner from the Global Women's Strike Organization.
And there I saw her, for a split time of a second, holding up the banner: My sister, Hanna! In the middle of two hundert and something thousand people and probably several hours of footage from lots of different news agencies! I felt like jumping through the TV and go hug her and march beside her!

Well, I did the next best thing and gave her a call. Then, almost hysterical, I called some friends to tell them what had happend.

"Big deal", some of of them thought for sure and some of you may be thinking, "Saw his sister on TV, so what?!" Well, only I know what I felt that moment!

Look! My sister Hanna!

2 Comments:

Blogger Cravo a Canela said...

It`s a small world...

Rogério Charraz

6/7/05 10:36  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

ha! or a big telly! :-)
well....i was very happy to hear how pleased joerg was that he saw me on the telly and also that he felt like he wanted to be on the march, too. it was a good day, although there's always this knowledge that these people who are promising all this "aid" to people in africa are, at the same time, making people who have fled from african countries and others where life is terribly hard and dangerous and come to seek asylum, homeless, destitute and say they have no right to even claim asylum. where is the justice in that? apart from that there's also the point that a lot of the "aid" given by western countries does not reach the people who really need it, or it is given in form of arms for example, which is really the last thing people need.
so....we went there with mixed feelings about the way they were going to "make poverty history", and went mainly for networking and to "launch" our new handbook for asylum seekers and their friends - practical help of what to do to get out of detention and how to stop deportations. it has been put together with the help of asylum seekers who shared their experiences and from more than 20 years of working with asylum seekers in london.
if you want to find out more about it look at the globalwomenstrike.net website.
:-)
sorry, i'll get off my soapbox now! :-)
anyway, i was happy to hear joerg so pleased to see me on the telly.

hanna

12/7/05 20:03  

Enviar um comentário

<< Home