26.2.07

Fats

They call him the Fat Man. With his easy-rolling boogie-woogie piano and smooth rhythm & blues vocals, Antoine "Fats" Domino put a New Orleans-style spin on what came to be known as rock and roll...

Antoine Dominique "Fats" Domino (born February 26, 1928 in New Orleans, Louisiana), is a classic R&B and rock and roll singer, songwriter and pianist. He was the best-selling African-American singer of the 1950s and early 1960s. Domino is also a pianist with an individualistic bluesy style showing stride and boogie-woogie influences. His congenial personality and rich accent have added to his appeal.



I was only nine years old, when I played my fathers old, green(!?), Fats Domino tape to death. You gotta love it, this voice and this music...

4 Comments:

Blogger A Burra Nas Couves said...

I still don't know what an African-American is. If it really is what I was told, that makes me a Jewish-Greek-Italian-Celtic-Arab-Gothic-Portuguese?

27/2/07 23:58  
Blogger Lusaut said...

Of course you are right. He was the best-selling negro singer. No! He was the best-selling black singer. No! He was the best-selling coloured singer.
Well. He was a singer and he sold a lot of records.

I myself, by the way, am a Celtic-Bohemian-Germanic-Slavic-probably Jewish-certainly English-and who knows what else-Austrian often accused of acquiring slowly but surely portuguese contamination...

...and I'm quite happy about it.

28/2/07 15:14  
Blogger A Burra Nas Couves said...

don't you hate labeling and political correction? I do!

2/3/07 01:06  
Blogger Lusaut said...

Of course I do. Didn't you get the cynicism in my answer?

What I intended to say was that in spite of all the possible expressions mentioned above, none of them is 100% "satisfying", which leaves us with what??? We are, to a certain extent, conditioned by the society we live in, even if it’s only in the vocabulary we have available to express ourselves…

2/3/07 09:31  

Enviar um comentário

<< Home